Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tens of thousands of dollars... That sounds about right.

The one thing about not having an architect is that we are responsible for figuring out ALL budgets for the interior of the house (which is actually fine). This implies dealing with the suppliers and dealing with the suppliers has somewhat turned into a social observatory of human behaviors. Here are the conclusions of my various encounters:

First case scenario: the perfect supplier (let's be realistic: NOT THAT COMMON). This person will basically bend over backwards (well, not literally, thank God, that would be a little too much) to please you and to fulfill your expectations. You will sit down with them and they will explain the product to you in great details, figure out what you need and get back to you very quickly with a quote, they will also answer your emails and phone calls if you have any questions. Chances to meet one of these perfect sales people: very low. 

Second case scenario: the really-competent-but-somewhat-rude supplier. The "attitude man", so to speak. The first interaction will be a mix of useful information as well as condescending remarks associated with bold and offensive statements, such as: "my product is the best and you'll be lucky if I sell it to you". See, in this scenario, it is like the roles have been reversed. There is no sales pitch at all, of course. It is like bizzarro world, you have to convince the supplier to sell you the product (almost). Chances to meet this kind of supplier: medium.

Third case scenario: the really-competent-but-super-lazy supplier. Again, very knowledgeable and very pleasant, and making promises that obviously they have no intention to keep. When can you have this quote ready for us? Oh, well, how about in two weeks? Well, that sounds great, thanks! 6 weeks later: still waiting for the quote. Wow impact: none. Frustration level: very high. Chances to meet this kind of supplier: high.

Fourth case scenario: the kind-of-competent-but-not-really supplier with a somewhat annoying attitude. This is, of course, my least favorite type of supplier. And although I am amused by all the ridiculous/outlandish selling tricks displayed by this type of individual, I find it extremely difficult to not show my discontent.

Often, this supplier is completely put off by the notion of budget: just like most architects, this individual seems to think that money grows on trees (that goes without saying), that budgets are for losers (thanks for the compliment) and that if you want your house to look good, you've got to spent the big bucks (naturally). Often this supplier doesn't really pay attention to what you are saying, has no idea what style you are really after (cuz they ain't really listenin') and acts like you have been best pals for years.  


So here is an example of conversation that I had today regarding some fixtures I was planning on purchasing for the house:

- supplier: " I have this awesome product which will look absolutely amazing in your house, all your friends will be impressed, man!". (now, why is that the biggest argument used to sell you a product???  Do you really think I am building my house to amaze my friends, I find this kind of insulting in a way. To assume that I am big show off and want to impress everyone with my $$$ stuff is beyond ridiculous, it is simply retarded and irritating. And please don't call me "man", we are not BFFs).
- me: "hum... well, to be honest, I don't really give a sh*t care about that, I am not building a house to impress my friends. Can you show me something else, more in line with my budget?"
- supplier, using some other bullshit cheesy sales pitch: "well, you know, this stuff is expensive, it is Italian... We are talking tens of thousands of dollars here."
- me: *_* (here we go with the European product nonsense). "You know, I worked in a furniture store, selling Italian furniture, I roughly know how much things cost. As I told you before, I am on some sort of a budget. Let's try to figure out a good quality product at a non-extravagant/decent price. Just find me what I need at a price I can afford".

Seriously, WTF what is this? Tens of thousands of dollars???? Please, please, PLEASE, give me some credit here and stop treating me like I am a rookie. Needless to say, I am not impressed with this kind of selling technique. It's really unconvincing.  Chances to meet this type of individual: medium to high.



No comments:

Post a Comment