Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bad manners.

Over the past few days, I have been confronted to a wave of bad manners on the job site. Until now, there was never any concern about people acting like dickheads rudely. Everyone works in harmony, is friendly to one another, in fact, when I get to the house, I know that it is going to be pleasant. The trades are always very nice and respectful and it has become more of a team work than anything else. Well... until now. 

First on my list: the central vac guy who apparently is miserable and complains about everything all the time. I had never met him until a couple of days ago. I showed up at the house and there was a truck parked in the lane way. (Because of the neighbours-from-hell, we have instructed the trades NOT TO PARK on the driveway. They are all aware that there is a potential lawsuit hanging above our heads and they usually never park on the driveway unless they have to unload their trucks to bring material in. Anyhow, everyone seems to understand the parking rules expect for central vac guy who has been parking in the danger zone over and over again. He obviously doesn't give a shit). At any rate, I wasn't sure whose truck it was so I asked our heating contractor and he told me it belonged to the central vac dude. There are so many trades in the house right now that I wasn't sure who he meant so I asked him if he could go tell the dude to move his truck since the neighbour was about to complain. Looks like Mr Central Vac got really uptight about the whole thing and started to get very agitated. I didn't see any of this but I saw someone come back up the stairs fuming and talking under his breath. He wouldn't even make eye contact he was so pissed off. I realized I had just met Mr Central vac guy. When I witness such bad behaviour, what do I want to do? Tell the trade to 1- get lost and 2-get the fuck out of the house. Seriously... it is not like the guy works here for free, he is getting paid to do this job and he has to understand and be respectful to the ONE rule we are trying to enforce. That whole scene really pissed me off and I told the builder about it. Builder's answer was:


" Sorry about the vacuum guy. Believe me I will stick a hose up his ass and see if the system works".


I like my builder a lot.


Second on my list: the window guys. The window company is called "Manners windows" (O_o), referring to I guess an outstanding level of customer service (???). Well, first of all, their level of service with regards to scheduling and how to stick to a schedule is very poor. As a matter of fact, they cancelled an entire week of window installation because of ONE snow day. Needless to say it was very irritating given the fact that we are relying on the window installation to continue with the work inside the house. Anyhow, they finally showed up again. The crew doing the work is so SO unfriendly, I am shocked. They barely say hello and if they do, they mumble it through their teeth. You'd need a super powerful hearing aid to hear it. I mean, I don't expect any of the trades to throw themselves at my neck and hug me when I arrive, I am not delusional, but how hard is it to say hi? C'mon, that's called Manners and it should have been taught to anyone from a very young age. And when you work for a company called "Manners windows", shouldn't you try a little harder? I guess they just picked the name without fully understanding what it meant or what the implications of such a name were. They forgot their "manners" on the way to our house.
I told the builder about those guys and here's what he said:


"I have to drop off the front door hardware at Bad Manners then I will go and "speak" to the vacuum guy". 


I like my builder even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment