Monday, August 23, 2010

Construction about to start.

Today, the construction is about to start. The demolition crew has managed to bring a huge backhoe on our front lawn (I didn't think it was even possible). It looks pretty frightening I have to say. Now, I am saying we are supposed to start today and that's unless (one and only one reason):

- our neighbors-from-hell decide that they want to interfere with the work again. Last week was pretty intense, they got upset because a worker was cutting concrete on our property to prepare for demo. #2 came out of the house, yelling and gesticulating, to asked the worker to "cease and desist" his work because it was making too much noise and that she was going to call her lawyer (who BTW is her husband)... Oooooooh, I am scared! Seriously, she is already asking to stop the work because it is too loud... Ahem... FYI, REAL WORK has not started yet!!!! It MIGHT GET LOUD(er)!!! Today is going to be brutal noise wise since they are taking the house down so I am not sure how they are going to cope. They might attempt something dramatic, such as throwing themselves in between the backhoe and the house to stop the work, kind of Tien An Men square style, expect that, of course, that they are far from being oppressed revolutionaries. They are just complete ball-breakers!

There is NO doubt in my mind that they are going to block us as much/often as they can.  I just can't understand their logic though. The faster we take the house down and rebuild, the better for everyone. However, by constantly interfering and getting in our face (they even hired their own structural engineer to go and snoop around on our property (which BTW is private so this guy should keep the fuck out away from the construction site or I will file a complaint for trespassing)), they are making the process longer. The longer the process, the more they suffer. So where is the logic? I don't see it here... But that's just me.

When work including excavating, digging, jack hammering, banging, dust, tarp, started in front of my house (because the City had to open up the road for the tenth time in two years, who knows why???), I wasn't thrilled but I was sucking it up because I just wanted to be done with it. And when it was completed, it looked much much better... Except that the year after that, the City decided that it was time to redo the side walks!!!!! Go figure...

At any rate, all I am trying to say here is that change is inevitable, construction in a big City is inevitable but that's just the way it goes. Calm down and go about your own life. I guarantee you that the new house will be much better than the old piece-of-crap-full-of-asbestos house that's there right now. Actually, there might just be half of it standing as I write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment