Monday, November 15, 2010

Don't fix the blame, fix the problem.

Something went REALLY wrong today on the job site. It is kind of like: when it rains it pours. Yeah, it is pouring A BIG ass problem at the moment. So what went wrong? Well, a wall collapsed, sort of. I got the news this morning so I drove to the site as fast as I could. I knew which wall it was so I knew it wasn't part of the big structure, which is definitely a good thing (that's to look on the bright side). Anyways, I was expecting to see the wall actually collapsed into the pit but when I got there, everything looked fine. Our super nice builder was there and said "take a look at the wall". I am standing there and quite frankly, I wasn't seeing anything. The wall was still in place. But, as soon as I turned around and looked at it from a different angle, I was able to see the problem and it is pretty substantial. The wall is wanting to collapse so it is bending slowly but surely inside the pit, it will collapse, it is just a matter of time before it does. It has taken this sort of rotunda shape, it is rounding itself in. Totally not the look we are going for. 


Of course, now, we have to decide what needs to be done. To avoid any discussion about whose fault it is, we have asked the engineer to come and take a look. The engineer seems to already know why it happened and will produce a report. Problem is that neither of the trades wants to take responsibility. They are trying to figure out whose fault it is. To that, I simply want to say "I really don't give a fuck whose fault it is, I know it is not my fault so all I need to know here is that someone is going to fix this screw up and that I won't have to pay for any of it". These guys can work it amongst themselves, they can play the finger pointing game, but as far as I am concerned, I want this problem to be fixed and I don't want to hear ANYONE asking me for money. This is not my problem, I am not the mason, I am not the guy who backfilled, I wasn't even on the site when it happened. I am the client here and I am paying each and everyone of these guys to do the job properly and obviously, when a wall falls down, someone, somewhere, didn't do their job properly and needs to redo it FREE OF CHARGE. So it will go down as follows apparently, thanks to the builder's help: the mason has offered to redo the wall at no charge, someone has to come and excavate, and then the wall will be rebuilt with blocks and then supported properly in order to not collapse again. It will take a couple of days to fix this fucking mess. There is a solution to every problem, that's true, we just want to be sure that our wallet is not involved in any aspects of that solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment