Monday, October 11, 2010

Turkey anyone?

After having spent most of this Thanksgiving week-end sort of enjoying the last few days of warm weather, here is what I will be most likely dealing with this week:

- messy and completely confusing quotes sent by suppliers.
- lazy suppliers who still have not provided quotes who I am going to have to nag/threat to send me pricing.
- electricians who need to sit down and look at electrical plans and provide me with an accurate and honest quote (almost sounds like a double oxymoron) for their work (that should take about a month).

Yes, surely, it sounds like an exciting week ahead, as I will probably get done about 10% (if I am lucky) of the items listed above. And that's because I have to rely on others to get most things done. And that's also because slowness and unresponsiveness are just two examples of the really high standards inherent to the construction world, an industry that is driven by the highest standards ever.

Like the other day, I get this email (and its attachment) from this supplier (who btw is VERY nice, just not that efficient). I thought the email was THE quote I was supposed to get 2 weeks ago... I open it and what do I see: a fucking recipe for Thanksgiving Turkey... A Turkey recipe, really?? Yes, a turkey recipe, not less. I was speechless for a few minutes but then questions came to my mind. How about sending me a recipe for how much my lighting fixtures are going to cost me? How about taking a calculator and adding the numbers of lights multiplied by the price, is that so difficult? So someone was able to find the time to type a Turkey recipe, but could not find the time to type a quote? O_o... That doesn't make any sense, but somehow it is not a joke, it is reality.

And the other thing is, I don't usually cook Turkey anyways so the email was a complete write-off. Great! Well, at least, it did make me laugh (well, I wasn't bursting with laughter either, let's be honest), it wasn't an email with the usual lame-O excuse about why the supplier wasn't able send the quote (I ate too many smarties so I had a tummy ache and couldn't send the quote, I was part of the group of Chilean mine workers trapped underground for over two month, I decided to take a sabbatical but forgot to send you the quote before I left...). No, it was just a recipe in lieu of a quote. Maybe next email will be the actual quote, who knows? Let's hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment