Thursday, October 21, 2010

The case of the missing electrician.

So as I said before, I met an amazing electrician a few months ago. I bought lighting fixtures for a client of mine and was looking for someone to install them. I called the store where I had bought the lights from and they gave me his number. Turns out he is extremely qualified and also has a great artistic sense which helps when you have to hang some fancykindoftrickytoinstall chandelier. He will basically tell you how it needs to be done, why it needs to be done that way and the final result of his work is always amazing. Anyways, enough said, the guy is awesome so I really really want him to work in my house. Only problem, as we all know, geniuses aren't perfect and this guy is unfuckingreliable... which really makes me wonder if I should even bother with him. Will his awesomeness make up for his unreliableness (I don't think this word really exists but who cares?)?

As an example, Tuesday night, we were supposed to meet with him at 6:30PM, meeting which he has scheduled himself. Anyhow, around 5:30, I was getting a strange vibe, so I called him and got his voice mail right away (not a good sign). I left a message asking if we were still on. 

6:00: nothing. 6:30: no one at the door (maybe he is late), 7:30: still no sign of him. 8:00: WTF, where the hell is he? 9:00: well, I think we can forget about it. 11:00: should I call the police and report a missing electrician? 

Now, one little question comes to my mind: why not call and cancel? Is it that so difficult? That makes me a little (that's obviously an understatement) mad to say the least. But but but but but BUT... since I really REALLY need him to do the job, I have to be extremely tolerant and realize that, being the genius that he is, these are just flaws I have to deal with and be understanding of. Ugh! Not easy and at this point, I am not totally convinced I am making the right decision with this fellow. Anyways, I spoke to him today and it was like he was reading right out of this little book my super cute little (well not so little anymore) sister got for me called "Excuses and lies, lines for all occasions" (You don't say, I think I am going to start using this book as well). It kind of went like this:


- me: "so what happened to you?".
- him: "I couldn't find my keys anywhere/ I wanted to wait until the laxatives kicked in/I was dealing with a personal matter/ Didn't we cancel that meeting/ I was at a client's until 11PM/ It is not you, it's me (huh?)/ two words - bad clams."
- me: "this sounds awfully familiar". O_o


What I want to say here is this: while it might be tempting to use the complete arsenal of ridiculous excuses you can think of, it might be smart to use caution when ditching a meeting with a potential client.  
Right now, I am very tempted to move on. I am giving him one more chance to prove that he can be somewhat reliable. I am not asking for absolute perfection in the reliability department, I am only asking that if a meeting can not be attended to, I will be given fair notice (via a phone call or even a text message saying "sorry I can't make it" will do... See I am not very demanding). I don't think it is THAT unreasonable, even for the construction industry extremely low standards.













17 comments:

  1. All things considered, this made them think what different exercises are useful for those of us who end up out and about or have restricted hardware alternatives.
    Prescott Electrical Repair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people think that you only need an electrician liverpool when you are constructing a new home, but this is simply not the case. In fact, if you have anything in your home that has to do with electricity and it needs repairs, it is far better to call in an electrician and to get them to fix it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. elektriker stavanger

    ReplyDelete
  4. This written piece gives fastidious understanding yet. It’s amazing in support of me to truly have a web site that is valuable meant for my knowledge

    ReplyDelete
  5. The organizing & Zoning branch determines the recommended utilization of the extended distance in which creation is deliberate, and will guarantee this use is allowed in move with Zoning Rule to the distinct belongings.Service First Permits - San Francisco

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! בניית בתים פרטיים

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post. elettrauto a pescara

    ReplyDelete
  8. The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention. Chape

    ReplyDelete
  9. Numerous construction organizations are battling right now; due incompletely to the changing monetary atmosphere, yet additionally to the nations retreat.הזזת ספרינקלרים

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very informative and interesting post.It is really a big help. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
    Building Inspections

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am continually amazed by the amount of information available on this subject. What you presented was well researched and well worded in order to get your stand on this across to all your readers. Georgetown crane rental

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mesmerized article written on this blog with other relevant information. It is straight to the point that how we can improve our skills as well as how we can be represented to a new stream of professionalism. Building Inspections Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. It’s amazing in support of me to truly have a web site that is valuable meant for my knowledge.
    electrician

    ReplyDelete
  15. You might comment on the order system of the blog. You should chat it's splendid. Your blog audit would swell up your visitors. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! elettricista tenerife

    ReplyDelete
  16. Public liability insurance as part of construction insurance helps the businesses in case any damage to third party property or individuals is caused by employees or the tools used in construction. munck hoist

    ReplyDelete
  17. Showcase Your Products & Services - Your website showcases your products and services for everyone to see, through photos, videos and more. Explain benefits, compare with other products/services, and show testimonials from happy customers. The more you show the more new customers you'll make. reformas integrales zaragoza

    ReplyDelete