Monday, October 18, 2010

I feel electric.

After the bathroom headache, we are now dealing with the reflected ceiling plan and electrical plan headaches. Without an architect, we don't have a choice but to do it ourselves and as much as I think I am pretty qualified to plan a bathroom, I don't think I have inherited the same set of skills in the lighting and electrical departments. However, because I am lucky somehow, I have met a few months ago an electrician while doing a job for a good client of mine. It turns out that this electrician is a fucking wizard and knows everything about lighting and electricity. He came over last week and gave me a proper lighting tutorial. 

To my great distaste, it appears that the world of lighting is as confusing, even more in fact than the one of toilets and bathtubs (I didn't think it was possible). It also turns out that there are some unspoken rules about lighting here in North America. When it comes to how much light is needed, the rule of thumb is way more is less. What does it mean? It means that you have to plant a stupid pot light every 2cm for a forest of pot lights look. I am sorry but I just don't get this concept: whenever in my current house, if I ever turn on all the lights at the same time in one room without using the dimmers, I feel like I am in a fucking police station being interrogated for drug trafficking. It is so bright, it is like a landing strip. 

See, personally, I like the less is more concept better. Less pot lights, more indirect lighting such as floor lamps, wall sconces but nothing too bright, I don't want to feel like I am in the operating room about to perform some heart surgery with a ton of lights above my head. I like a more intimate feel, a darker atmosphere. At any rate, we have been told that it doesn't matter what we like (huh?), we have to think about resale (WTF?), and unless we sell to someone who has the same light sensitivity as us, we are going to have to put pot lights everywhere, just in case. Not to mention also that those things are not cheap and electricians usually charge per pot light for installation so the more the merrier. Great, again, I feel that I have no control over anything. But quite frankly, it is light that we are talking about and I don't think anyone is going to complain if a house is "reasonably" lit as opposed to a house that is so completely over the top lit that one would have to wear sunglasses when coming inside. So this time, I'll do what I want and what I am comfortable with. 







1 comment:

  1. How to go about choosing the right local electrician liverpool. Choosing a local and reliable electrician doesn't have to be a struggle and by following a few simple steps you shouldn't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete