Thursday, October 21, 2010

I am my house and my house is me.

I hadn't gone to the site in the past few days because I was stuck in bed with the stupid stomach flu so it looks like I missed out on all the interesting actions such as weeping tile, basement walls blocks, capping, foundation inspection, angry neighbors, back fill. The last operation consisted in filling out the trenches surrounding the house with dirt (the technical term for this is back filling) and that really makes a difference in terms of appearance since the surroundings of the house now are clearly visible. It also allowed us to remove the huge disgusting stack of dirt that was sitting in the backyard and it now looks much cleaner all around. 

So now, what do we do? The next step is framing. However, because we have been waiting around for the structural work to be completed properly (structural drawings will show how steel beams and posts will be positioned based on the work of the engineer. These drawings then go to the Steel factory where the steel technician produces more refined drawings of what these items will look like, then the structural engineer has to stamped those and sent them back to the steel factory so they can start production. (Yes, it is very interesting, I know)). 
Anyhow, since it has to go through so many steps, a huge amount of time is wasted because not everybody is on the ball and also because "you are not our only clients, you know". Alright, got it. Sorry! Usually, it would take a few days for those beams to be fabricated. However, because we are not very lucky, a huge order for 3 shopping malls has come in before us and it looks like we will be waiting for a while. Ugh! Of course, nobody is able to tell us how long it will take. We have to guess it looks like, so I'll guess maybe 10 days.

Another interesting thing I have noticed: my latest interactions with my friends and people that I know which, in essence,  are like this:

Facebook wall posts: "hey, how's the house?"
Facebook chat: "Howdy, where are you at with your new house?"
Text messages: "What's going on with your house?"
Bbm: "Everything ok with the house?"
Emails from France: "Et la maison, ça va?"
Phone calls: "What's up with your house?"
Face to face conversation: "So tell me about your house."


Three words: Oh. My. God. See what has happened here? I have turned into my house and my house has turned into me. Consequently, nobody is asking how I am doing anymore, but rather how the house is doing. If the house is doing well, then I am doing well. That's just pure logic. So pure logic = scary logic? Hmmmm... not really. It makes sense that when you are involved in a DIY house project, it will end up taking a lot of your time. If you have an architect involved, you can probably rely on them to do most of the work (as I am writing this, it is funny but I am not convinced...). But then again, you'll have to pay someone an arm and a leg for a result that might not be very satisfactory (and that's pretty much a fact). So if you have time to take care of your house project, I'd say 'just do it'.



No comments:

Post a Comment